- 1990 Ph.D. in Linguistics, Stanford University. Thesis: The syntax and semantics of internally headed relative clauses.
- 1983 A.M. in Linguistics, Stanford University.
- 1983 B.S. in Mathematics, Stanford University.
- 2014-present Freelance consultant for information visualization of linguistic data
- 2011-2014 Visiting Professor (Vertretungsprofessor) in the Seminar für Sprachwissenschaft (Department of General and Computational Linguistics) at the University of Tübingen
- 2008-2011 Senior Researcher and Language Technologies Technical Officer at the European Academy Bozen-Bolzano (EURAC).
- 2003-2005 Senior Research Scientist and Project Leader at FX Palo Alto Laboratory.
- 2000-2003 Senior Research Linguist at SRI International
- 1999-2000 Computational Linguist at Inxight Software, Inc. (now part of SAP)
- 1991-2001 Assistant/Associate Professor of Linguistics and Director of African Language Instruction at the University of Iowa.
U.S. Software Patents
- U.S. Patent 7,013,275: Method and apparatus for providing a dynamic speech-driven control and remote service access system. Inventors: D. Arnold, H. Franco, D. Israel, and C. Culy
- U.S. Patent 7,249,019: Method and apparatus for providing an integrated speech recognition and natural language understanding for a dialog system. Inventors: C. Culy, D. Israel, and J. Arnold
- U.S. Patent 7,363,294: Indexing for contextual revisitation and digest generation. Inventors: D-A. Billsus, D.M. Hilbert, J.J. Trevor, C.D. Culy, L. Denoue, G. Golovchinsky.
- U.S. Patent 7,610,190: Systems and methods for hybrid text summarization. Inventors: L. Polanyi, M. H. van den Berg, G. L. Thione, R.S. Crouch, C.D. Culy, D.D. Ahn.
- U.S. Patent 7,757,170: Recommendation aggregation for digest generation. Inventors: D-A. Billsus, C.D. Culy, D.M. Hilbert, J.J. Trevor.
Recent invited talks
- C. Culy. 2016. Title TBD. Invited keynote presentation at Advanced Visual Methods for Linguistics. September 26-28, 2016. University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
- C. Culy. 2015a. "Interactive visualization tools for analyzing language data". Invited presentation at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore. April 16, 2015. Milan, Italy.
- C. Culy. 2015b. "Information Visualization: Design and Techniques. " Invited presentation at the AUVIS workshop. Frauenhofer Institute for Intelligent Analysis and Information Systems IAIS. January 22-23, 2015. Sankt Augustin, Germany.
- C. Culy. 2014a. Learning from MOTHs. Invited presentation at the Workshop on Interactive Language Learning, Visualization, and Interfaces at the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL 2014). 27 June 2014.
- C. Culy. 2014b. "Getting inside the letter: using visualisation tools to explore the language of emigrant correspondence." Invited presentation at the Workshop on visualizing letter collections, Omagh, Northern Ireland. March 14, 2014.
- C. Culy. 2013a. "Letter to the visualization field." Invited presentation at the Kickoff-Workshop der eHumanities-Verbundprojekte. April 8, 2013. Universtität Leipzig
- C. Culy. 2013b. "Tackling a grand challenge in the visualization of language and linguistic data". Invited presentation at the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Sprachwissenschaft 2013 Workshop on the Visualization of Linguistic Patterns. March 13, 2013.
- C. Culy. 2013c. "Putting visualizations into words." Invited presentation at the Visualization of Text Data Workshop. November 14-16, 2013. Universtität Hamburg, Germany.
- C. Culy. 2013d. "Visualization of Language and Linguistic Information." Invited presentation at the Arbeitstreffen: Netzwerk Lexicographie. November 20-21, 2013. Institute für Deutsche Sprache, Mannheim, Germany.
- C. Culy. 2012. "Some challenges of language and linguistic data for information visualization." Invited keynote presentation at Advanced Visual Methods for Linguistics. University of York, September 7, 2012.
Recent refereed presentations
- C. Culy, M. Passarotti, and U. König-Cardanobile. 2014. A Compact Interactive Visualization of Dependency Treebank Query Results. to be presented at LREC, May 28-30, 2014, Rejkjavik, Iceland
- E. Chiocchetti, C. Culy and N. Ralli. 2013. "Visualising conceptual relations in the domain of law: Verweis Viewer" at TOTh 13 (Terminology & Ontology : Theories and applications) June 6-7, 2013, Chambéry, France
- V. Lyding and C. Culy. 2012. "Visualizing Linguistic Data: From Principles to Toolkits for Doing it Yourself." Workshop presented at Advanced Visual Methods for Linguistics. University of York, September 5, 2012.
- A. Abel and C. Culy. 2011. "KOLIPSI — A Collection of Language Learner Corpora for German and Italian". presented at LCR 2011, 20 years of learner corpus research: Looking back, moving ahead. Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 15-17 September 2011.
- Culy, C. and V. Lyding. 2009. "Visualization as Part of the Linguistic Processing Pipeline" presented at the Linguistic Processing Pipelines Workshop, Gesellschaft für Sprachtechnologie und Computerlinguistik. Potsdam. October 2009.
Workshops and Summer School courses led
- C. Culy. 2014a. Advanced interactive visualizations of corpus and language data for exploration and discovery. Workshop at Coventry University for the British Association for Applied Linguistics. 6 December 2014
- M. Butt and C. Culy. 2014b. Visual Analytics for Linguistics. Course at ESSLLI 2014. University of Tübingen. 11-15 August 2014
- V. Lyding and C. Culy. 2012. Visualizing Linguistic Data: From Principles to Toolkits for Doing It Yourself. Workshop at Advances in Visual Methods in Linguistics (AVML). University of York. 5 September 2012.
Recent conference proceedings
- C. Culy, E. Chiocchetti, and N. Ralli. 2013. "Visualizing conceptual relations in legal terminology" in Proceedings 2013 17th International Conference on Information Visualization IV 2013, July 16-18, 2013, London, UK. 333-338
- C. Culy, C. Dima and E. Dima. 2012. "Through the Looking Glass: Two Approaches to Visualizing Linguistic Syntax Trees" in Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Information Visualisation IV2012, July 11-13, 2012, Montpellier, France. 214-219
- V. Lyding, E. Lapshinova-Koltunski, S. Degaetano-Ortlieb, H. Dittmann and C. Culy. 2012. "Visualizing Linguistic Evolution in Academic Discourse" in Proceedings of EACL 2012 Joint Workshop of LINGVIS & UNCLH, April 23-24, 2012, Avignon, France. 44-48.
- C. Culy, V. Lyding, and H. Dittmann. 2011a. "Structured Parallel Coordinates: a visualization for analyzing structured language data" in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Corpus Linguistics, CILC-11, April 6-9, 2011, Valencia, Spain, 485-493.
- C. Culy, V. Lyding, and H. Dittmann. 2011b. "Visualizing Dependency Structures" in Proceedings of the annual meeting of the Gesellschaft für Sprachtechnologie und Computerlinguistik (GSCL), Hamburg, Germany, 81-86.
- C. Culy, V. Lyding, and H. Dittmann. 2011c. "xLDD: Extended Linguistic Dependency Diagrams". in Information Visualization: 15th International Conference on Information Visualisation, 164-169.
- C. Culy and V. Lyding. 2011. "Corpus Clouds - Facilitating Text Analysis by Means of Visualizations" in Human Language Technology: Challenges for Computer Science and Linguistics,Zygmunt Vetulani (ed.). Berlin:Springer. 351-360.
- Culy, C. and V. Lyding. 2010. "Double Tree: An Advanced KWIC Visualization for Expert Users" in Information Visualization, Proceedings of IV 2010, 2010 14th International Conference Information Visualization, 98-103.
- C. Culy and V. Lyding. 2010."Visualizations for exploratory corpus and text analysis" in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Corpus Linguistics CILC-10, May 13-15, 2010, A Coruña, Spain, 257-268.
- C. Culy and V. Lyding. 2009. "Corpus Clouds - facilitating text analysis by means of visualizations" in the Proceedings of 4th Language & Technology Conference. November 6-8, 2009. Poznan, Poland. Zygmunt Vetulani (ed.). 521-525.
- Thione, G.L, van den Berg, M., Culy, C., and L. Polanyi. 2004. "LiveTree: An Integrated Workbench for Discourse Processing" in Proceedings of the ACL2004 Workshop on Discourse Annotation, Barcelona, Spain, July 25-26, 2004.
- Polanyi, L., Culy C., van den Berg, M., Thione, G.L., and Ahn, D. 2004. "Sentential Structure and Discourse Parsing" in Proceedings of the ACL2004 Workshop on Discourse Annotation, Barcelona, Spain, July 25-26, 2004.
- Thione, G.L., van den Berg, M., Polanyi, L., and Culy, C. 2004. "Hybrid Text Summarization: Combining external relevance measures with Structural Analysis" in Proceedings of the ACL2004 Workshop Text Summarization Branches Out, Barcelona, Spain, July 25-26, 2004.
- Polanyi, L., Culy C., van den Berg, M., and Thione, G.L. 2004. "A Rule Based Approach to Discourse Parsing" in Proceedings of the 5th SIGdial Workshop in Discourse And Dialogue.
Cambridge, MA USA pp. 108-117.
- Orlandi, M., C. Culy, H. Franco. 2003. "Using Dialog Corrections to Improve Speech Recognition" in Proceedings of the ISCA Workshop on Error Handling in Spoken Dialogue Systems, Chateau-d'Oex-Vaud, Switzerland, 47-51.
- Culy, C. and Riehmann, S.Z. 2003. "The Limits of N-Gram Translation Evaluation Metrics" in Proceedings of MT Summit IX: 71-78.
Older articles in journals
- Culy, C. and S. Fagan. 2002. "The history of the middle in Dogon" Studies in African Linguistics 30.2: 171-94.
- Culy, C. 1999. "Questions in Takelma" International Journal of American Linguistics. 65.3, 251-274.
- Culy, C. 1998. "Statistical distribution and the grammatical/ungrammatical distinction" Grammars 1.1, 1-13.
- Culy, C. 1997. "Logophoric pronouns and point of view" Linguistics 35, 845-859.
- Culy, C. 1996. "Agreement and Fula pronouns" Studies in African Linguistics 25.1, 1-27.
- Culy, C. 1996. "Formal properties of natural languages and linguistic theory" Linguistics and Philosophy 19.6, 599-617.
- Culy, C. 1996. "Null objects in English recipes" Language Variation and Change 8.1, 91-124.
- Culy, C., K. Kodio, and P. Togo. 1995. "Dogon pronominal systems: their nature and evolution" Studies in African Linguistics 23.3:315-344.
- Culy, C. 1994. "Aspects of Logophoric Marking" Linguistics 32, 1055-1094.
- Culy, C. 1994. "A note on logophoricity in Dogon" Journal of African Languages and Linguistics 15, 113-125.
- Culy, C. and B. Gnalibouly Dikko. 1988. "Fula makko and Theories of Anaphora" in Linguistic Inquiry 19.2:315-319.
- Culy, C. 1985. "The Complexity of the Vocabulary of Bambara" in Linguistics and Philosophy 8:345-351, reprinted in E. Bach, W.Marsh, and W.J. Savitch (eds.) The Formal Complexity of Language, 349-357.
Invited book chapters
- Culy, C. 2003. "Bambara-Mandinka-Jula." In William Frawley and William Bright (eds.), International Encyclopedia of Linguistics (second edition). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Culy, C. 2002. "The logophoricity hierarcy and variation in Dogon" in Tom Güldemann and Manfred von Roncador (eds.), Reported Discourse: A Meeting Ground for Different Linguistic Domains. Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 201-210.
- Culy, C. 1988. Basic Donno So (Dogon), Grammar notes and glossary written for Peace Corps-Mali.
- English: first language
- French: good
- Italian: good
- German: good
- Spanish: conversational
- Bambara, Fula, Dogon: basic